About the job
Beachwood Chamber of Commerce is accepting applications for the Executive Director. This position reports to the Board of Directors.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Executive Director works under authority granted by the Board of Directors to assist in defining priorities to build and develop relationships among the Chamber, its corporate members and business enterprises to implement the Board’s policies and procedures and ensure program and fiscal accountability. The Executive Director is responsible for all financial, operational, administrative and legal aspects of the daily organizational management of the Chamber, which includes but is not limited to achieving budget targets, public relations and marketing, sound management of all fiscal resources, supervision of (paid and volunteer) program staff, and business operations in accordance with standard business practice.
- Oversee the growth and development of the membership base.
- Oversee all financial, management and administration aspects of the Chamber.
- Implement the Chamber’s Board-approved policies and implement other Board and Chamber plans in a timely way as they relate to the Chamber’s operating budget, fundraising activities, programs, membership development and communication.
- Assure compliance and fiscal accountability.
- Provide the Chamber with expertise in non-profit accounting and financial analysis.
- Provide leadership in developing organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff and carry out plans and policies as authorized by the Board.
- Promote active and broad participation by partner organizations and volunteers in the Chamber’s work.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in cultural, economic and political environments that impact business in Beachwood and the surrounding communities.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility for the annual budget and report to the Board monthly.
- Address short term financing challenges and build a strong financial model for the future.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
- Oversee, update and make recommendations to current programs of the Chamber and, working with staff, develop programs to achieve objectives of the Chamber’s mission and goals.
- Identify and cultivate partner organizations locally, regionally and nationally for mutual program benefit.
- Lead a strategic planning process that positions the Chamber to effectively deal with emerging and changing business trends and needs.
- Oversee and support fundraising efforts including special events, sponsorships and corporate and small business solicitations.
- Oversee and support event management, guidance and direction, follow up and analysis for continued improvement as needed.
- Provide leadership in developing fundraising plans with staff and the Board of Directors.
- Provide support and work with the Board in raising funds for the Chamber.
BOARD RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Assist the Board by maintaining and promoting the vision and mission of the Chamber and in its achieving goals and objectives.
- Assist in recommending and developing policies and setting priorities.
- Keep the Board and Board President fully informed on the condition of the Chamber and other important factors affecting the health of the organization.
- Communicate regularly with the President and key committee leaders.
- Serve as staff liaison to Board as appropriate.
- Assist the President in planning the agenda and materials for the Board meetings and Board strategic planning retreats.
PUBLIC RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Anticipate the political, social and economic issues that will affect the Beachwood business community and recommend appropriate action and/or response, as may be necessary to government agencies, the membership and the public.
- Implement marketing timeline and communications for the mission and goals.
- Establish and strengthen working relationships with partners at the local, regional and national levels.
- Identify and develop new partnerships with business and community leaders.
- Ensure appropriate representation, as a spokesperson, of the Chamber goals and objectives to community and corporate groups and other stakeholders.
- Oversee the development and production of all Chamber printed material and publications in cooperation with the Membership Committee.
- Develop and administer Board-approved personnel policies.
- Ensure proper hiring and termination procedures as required by law.
- Direct supervision of all staff. Oversee all disciplinary actions.
- Provide for adequate supervision and evaluation of all staff.
- Encourage staff development and education.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong preference for a candidate with previous experience with a chamber of commerce, trade association, membership organization, or other small 501(c)6 nonprofit
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required such as Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Services or related field. Equivalent experience in related fields will be considered.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in management and experience in non-profit fund raising.
- Demonstrated success in strategic planning, board development, and fundraising.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the economic and cultural environment in Beachwood and the surrounding communities.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing not-for-profit accounting and expertise in financial analysis.
- Leadership, sense of vision and ability to motivate others.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor.
- Strong verbal and written communication and listening skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience and strong ability to work with and support the Board of Directors.
- Work effectively with a diverse population of community leaders, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
- Extensive knowledge of finance and budgeting and non-profit accounting.
- Demonstration of initiative, creativity and follow-through.
- Ability to multi-task and have a strong sense of organization, planning and able to manage time well.
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, and humor.
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point and QuickBooks.
- Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Qualified candidates should forward a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be notified. Please respect the request for no phone calls.
Job Type: Part time (20-30 hours per week based on candidate’s availability)
Salary: $25-$30 per hour
Health insurance and retirement benefits are not offered with this position, however it offers a flexible schedule, paid time off, and a remote working environment.